SNC Students background

Spotlights

Great Starts: Erin Lamm '24
Portrait of student Erin Lamm

Great Starts: Erin Lamm '24

From time to time, we like to showcase a new SNC grad who’s entered the workplace or grad school. Success stories like these are pretty common. In fact, 94 percent who responded to a survey said they were employed, in grad school or doing service work within nine months of graduating.

Hometown: Waukesha, Wis.
Degree
: Sociology with a minor in French
Plans after graduation: Erin is pursuing a doctorate in sociology at Indiana University.

Why did you choose to study sociology at St. Norbert College?

I have a family connection; my grandmother went here, and my cousin was here at the time while I was looking at colleges. During my tour and on Trustee Day, I liked the offerings here, such as the Honors Program and the smaller class sizes. I initially did not know what to pursue for my major, but I assumed I would have the opportunity to do undergraduate research or something like it, which was important to me in the college experience.

What was the spark to choose sociology as your focus?

When I started, I was undecided; I was uncomfortable with it in many ways, especially because everyone I met seemed to know what they wanted to do, which made me stressed at first. However, I ended up in Dr. Laura Krull’s Intro to Sociology that first semester, which was her first semester as well, and Dr. Alexa Trumpy’s Honors 101 class. It was like something just clicked; we all connected academically and personally. They became great mentors to me, and Dr. Trumpy became my advisor. Sociology instills valuable tools for understanding the world around us and helps make sense of privilege and inequality, which are subjects I am interested in. I never quite knew how I wanted to explore these concepts, but sociology has given me the tools to read fascinating course material that stimulates my interest alongside thought-provoking people.

What are you hoping to do once you’ve earned your Ph.D. in sociology?

What I’d really like to do is stay in academia and teach at the university level, and continue to pursue research, as well. It’s just what really interests me. I’ve talked with my sociology professors, and they agree it’s a good fit for me. I love my TA job here for sociology. I find a lot of joy in that. And I love watching the pedagogical approaches that different professors use in the classroom. I’m excited to be a mentor for someone and just opening people’s eyes to sociology.

What will be your lasting memory of St. Norbert College?

Without a doubt, the people. I have had so many amazing connections with people in terms of students, faculty and staff. The friends I have made here are important to me, and pursuing those friendships after college and graduation is crucial. In addition, the various supervisors I have had at work have been essential connections, and they all root for me. Also, all the faculty I have had here have been amazing; you are not just a number to them. Everyone I’ve met here, like the office of communications, and Ruth’s Marketplace staff like Michelle Whitcomb, remember little things about you. This shows there is a lot of kindness on campus and all those little things help you feel more at home. As I am graduating this May, I cannot help but think about how I will miss all these people I have connected with.